Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wineglass Marathon Weekend

We are up in NY this weekend for the Wineglass Marathon in Corning, NY. We left Charlotte after work on Thursday and drove to Morgantown, WV for the night before continuing on to Rochester on Friday morning.

Friday night we had dinner with my family at my favorite restaurant, Agatinas! I love this place, and make it a point to have dinner there every time I come home. (I am even getting my wedding meal from Agatinas--our wedding in Rochester, that is.)If you are ever in Rochester, NY, venture over to the west side, in Gates, it is worth the trip!

We made our way down to Corning on Saturday afternoon. It is such a beautiful drive, with all the leaves changing. My parents also came down with us to support us in our races. We quickly made our way through the expo and then looked for a place to eat dinner, was hoping for an early dinner. We saw Allen Strickland and Laura Gray at the restaurant, they had gotten there a little earlier than us, so they avoided the wait. We had close to an hour wait, and then when we got our food, it was pretty disappointing, more of a sports bar restaurant.

We got to our hotel around 8 o'clock and got all our belongings together and ready for the next morning. Early wake up call at 5am, yuck. I dropped Chris off at the start of the full marathon at 7am, and then I headed to my half marathon start. My parents met me there to drive my car to the finish and cheer me on at the start. I was very worried that I wasn't going to be able to finish the half marathon. My left soleus has been cramped up for about three weeks now. This past week it stopped me mid-run during an 8 miler on Wednesday morning. I went to visit Adrienne for a massage that day, and had not ran since. It was pretty bad, hurts to the touch and even an ache when I walk. So, the half marathon would be my first run to test it out. I felt the tightness from the beginning and it never went away, never really got too much worse, but it did not feel good, especially on the uphill portions (luckily there werent' too many of those.)

I was praying that I would just be able to finish the race, didn't matter what my time was, I just wanted to finish and not have to walk to the finish in the cold weather. Thank goodness I made it! I did not get a PR, but I finished. Unofficial time was 1:44:50. As soon as I got through the finish line I saw my parents and made my way to find the medic tent to get some ice. My leg was already swollen. I iced for a bit and then went to look for Chris finishing his race.

Chris did awesome! A huge PR with an unofficial time of 2:36:35! He got 4th place overall and won an engraved wine craft, a bottle of champagne and even some $$! Great day for Chris! Very proud of him!

Chris in the last tenth mile of the race

Chris getting his award, next to the 1984 US Olympic gold medalist, Joan Benoit Samuelson!

We have had a fun filled weekend. Unfortunatly, right now we are watching the end of the Bills game, not a very good ending to the game :(



No comments:

Post a Comment