Sunday, October 28, 2012

1 week before NYC Marathon, Sick :(

It is ONE week before the NYC Marathon, and I feel like this:

I started to feel a little sick on Tuesday and it got worse on Wednesday and Thursday, my whole body ached, everything hurt. I thought, from previous experience, that I had the flu. So, I made an appt. with my doctor so that I could get some meds to get this out of my system ASAP, with the marathon being so close. Normally, I wouldn't bother and would just let it pass in time. I was running a fever and just feeling like I got ran over by a car. My doctor said they have not seen any cases of the flu this year so she would be surprised if that is what I had, but she decided to test me for the flu as well as get a CBC and a blood test to test my electrolytes. This was Friday, the flu test came back negative and my CBC came back normal. She said it is a virus and just to take things conservatively and it will pass in time. My electrolyte test will come back on Monday.

Saturday I went out for a run with Chris and made it about 1.5 miles before I had to walk back home. My body just felt so weak to run. I decided I would leave my 8-10 miler for Sunday, and hopefully feel better. This morning, Sunday, Chris and I ran at Latta Plantation and I just felt terrible, still. My body felt so weak, it was just so hard to run. When we stopped at about 3.5 miles, I had a really hard time breathing, I felt like my chest was closing in on me. I then just kept coughing about the whole walk back to the car. Realizing that my body is just not ready to run still. Maybe tomorrow? Maybe just take it easy and get this out of my system and hopefully feel 100% on Sunday for the marathon? I guess the advice would be to cross train this week. Ride my bike, spin, swim. Ughhh. Oh, well. It is what it is. This girl just ain't cut out to run marathons. If it's not one thing, it's another. It is what it is.

I am THANKFUL that I can run, I get to go to NYC and RUN in the marathon...the ONLY marathon, I've ever really wanted to do, I'm healthy (minus this minor setback,) and I was able to get my 20 mile long run in a couple weeks ago. So, it's not so bad! :)

In other news, Chris and I did not make plans for the weekend, since I wasn't sure how I would be feeling, so Saturday we ventured out for a car ride in the mountains. We pulled off a couple places to walk around, the leaves are just beautiful right now! We saw a sign for the 'Bunker Hill Covered Bridge' off of I-40 West. I thought this sounded fun, so we followed the signs. They took us to the entrance to the trail for the bridge. It was not a very long trail, but it was pretty, so many trees with pretty leaves. We learned that the Bunker Hill Bridge was built in 1895 and is one of the two covered bridges left in NC. Pretty exciting stuff, huh? Ha. Yeah, there wasn't much to it. Here's a couple pictures.





We had to get back to go to the Latta Plantation Ghost Walk. I had never been to Latta Plantation before this, and have always wanted to go to one of their Civil War reenactments. It's a pretty cool place. Their ghost walk was very well organized and staged. Nothing real scary, many characters that jump out at you in the woods, but mostly it's funny. They got me a couple times!

This morning, I went to watch Chris run in the Monster Dash 5k (before heading to Latta to run,) put on by RunningWorks. Taken from their website: 'RunningWorks is a non-profit running program founded to encourage the homeless community to rediscover the power of teamwork, discipline, confidence and respect for each other one stride at a time.'

Good Event, great foundation!

I am going to sign off now since I took some NyQuil about half an hour ago. Trying to get some rest today while Chris is at his friend's house watching football. I've been taking Epsom salt baths everday, doubling up on my Greens and drinking green tea. Hoping to knock this sickness out of my system ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment